Italian Stallion Scramble
So as you will soon be learning that I recently did a comprehensive blood test (post coming soon) and found out I have some serious blood sugar issues. I'm not a huge breakfast person and it has always been a struggle for me to get a good healthy low carb breakfast in to help balance my sugars and start the day right. Those of you who know me, know that if its not liquid and full of caffeine and sugar I'm not interested in it until about noon!
So I stumbled across this recipe and I liked the idea of doing something different than you typical sausage or bacon and eggs. It also would be great to cook the night before and reheat it since i'm not much of a morning person!
This recipe yields about 3 servings keep in mind this is a higher fat dish and is very filling so keep the serving sizes smaller.
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons shallots, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
2 Italian sausages, butterfly cut, then sliced
1/4 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Melt coconut oil and sauté shallots and green pepper until tender.
- Reduce heat. Add sausage and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- In small bowl, whisk egg, salt, ground pepper, red pepper flakes, and half the cheese.
- Pour egg mixture into pan, folding it into the peppers and sausages until cooked through.
- Remove from heat and top with remaining cheese.
510 Calories per serving
6.0g Usable Carbs (not fiber)